Runner's High

Why running still feels good when I'm pushing 65 lbs. up a steep hill

After I got home from our Christmas vacation in January, I had a long 4 weeks of no running. That was longer than the three week break I took after birthing Joshua. The combination of not having a double jogging stroller and frigid cold weather kept us indoors for a solid month. For the first 2 weeks there was a perceptible change in my outlook and attitude. I attributed this to many things, mostly getting used to being a geographically single mom with two little, needy babies. But once I started running, I noticed a huge difference. I actually think it was the combination of running, enjoying the (cold) fresh air and sunshine on my face, and grace from God as He helped me cope with Kevin's absence.
I read an article yesterday in the NY Times about the euphoria associated with running, and I think that running has a lot to do with my good attitude of late. When I started running again after that 4 week hiatus, it was really difficult. But after a week: not so bad. Now I'm training for the Indianapolis Mini-Marathon (the country's biggest half-marathon) in May, and running is just something I do. Along with feeding, clothing, pottying the boys, the daily run is what I plan my day around.
I've never understood when people say that they "don't like" running. What's not to like? But after my experience of being out of the habit of running and coming back to it- I get how someone could go on one run and hate it. This article link is for people that I think would love running, if they ever experienced that high I get every day- like you, Katie, and for others who want to validate their feelings on the subject. Finally a scientific study to back up what Runner's World has speculatively written in every issue for the last 10 years.
You can read the article for yourself by clicking here.
What do you think? Do you get a runner's high after a good workout? Or do you just want to throw up and lie down after a run? Is that feeling of euphoria worth the effort and pain, or would you rather walk? Vote in the poll on the right, if you want.

kirsten schueler  – (March 28, 2008 at 3:22 PM)  

kristen, i started training for the monument avenue 10K and i think i love running now! the race is next week and tomorrow morning i am running 6 miles. i hate mile 2 to 3 but when i am done its the most amazing feeling of accomplishment! so far, every saturday that i run it is the longest distance i have ever run! since i am so new to it. i haven't been able to run with miriam, it wears me out. i do "stroller strides" with her m,w, and f so she sees me working out 3 days a week.
i will say that 6.2 miles might be my max. a half marathon sounds horrible (right now, who know i may want to later)

Embrace the Circus  – (March 28, 2008 at 5:54 PM)  

Krissy, I am right with you! I got out of the habit of running when my parents were here (somehow my mom always thwarts my running plans), and I think it completely showed in my attitude. When I'm running regularly, everything is better. I'm happier, I feel healthier, things are good.

And man, that first week back stunk. Still, I'm back on track now, using a double jogger we got off Craigslist for only $100. It's not awesome, but it means I'm not at the mercy of Jim's ridiculous work schedule, and at least we won't have to worry about it getting wrecked when we move in a few months.

I'd been training to run a half on the Big Island at the end of June, but I'm not sure that's going to line up right with our PCS. When we know where we're going, I'll pick a new race.

Wow. Sorry that was so long. I'm not sure even I know I felt that passionately about it!

Jake  – (March 28, 2008 at 6:48 PM)  

I don't know if I've hit the true runner's high, but it's definitely a recipe for feeling good at the end of the day.

The variable that Sam adds is if I leave him at home I feel guilty, and if I take him I don't run as much and feel bad about that. But sometimes 20 or 30 minutes of actual quiet and solitude is amazing.

MSB  – (March 29, 2008 at 7:55 AM)  

I WANT to experience it. I have never been a runner, but everyone I know who is says it is the best thing. I have a lot of excuses as to why I don't run and they are all lame.
We have a treadmill... I could run. Outside we have a foot of new snow and more falling!

Anonymous –   – (March 29, 2008 at 8:17 AM)  

oh krissy.. you see i thought you did run while you were home? at least a few times maybe? but thanks for the call out! i love you too! but i do wish i liked, more like loved running as much as you do. i miss you, come see me.

Childress Family  – (March 29, 2008 at 5:14 PM)  

I totally get that. But you already know I'm a fair-weather runner; have always hated running in the cold. The pain and cough that come afterwards outweigh the euphoria. And now with a Little, it doesn't make sense to make her sit in a stroller braving the cold with me. I guess I'll have to suck it up as we inch our way up the east coast...and hopefully John's school schedule will allow for me to run sola this fall/winter!

Scott  – (March 29, 2008 at 8:03 PM)  

After faithfully attending kickboxing and aerobic classes this past year I can say that I'm not a runner and I hate running. Sorry! I just love dancing and mvoing to music and have to have some variety in my routine. I also love kicking and punching the bags and definitely get my "high" while working out aggression. It makes me feel strong and in control of a portion of my life.

Amber

JStar  – (April 6, 2008 at 8:34 PM)  

Hey Ktoth, I think I've been a blog stalker lately and haven't left anybody any messages, but I'm still reading! Your boys are super cute and I love the story about poop on the floor at a new friends' house! As for running, I always feel awesome after I do it, but lack consistency. My excuse is this dang Oklahoma weather! Usually the wind is going 50mph since there are three trees in the entire state to block it (ok, maybe a few more) it keeps me inside. I'll try thinking of you when I need encouragement to brave the big outdoors!

Post a Comment