Oops
How much damage does this look like to you? A thousand bucks to replace the bumper? Two thousand? How about at least 8 thousand. Because the insurance company is writing this bumper cruncher off as a total loss. Something about a bent frame. Great. I've never claimed to be a good driver, but now there is proof to the contrary.
So I got in an accident last weekend. I went out to dinner and ice cream with some girlfriends from Bible Study. It was my first time leaving the boys at home with a sitter, ever. Kevin has been gone now for 7+ months. The first time I'm out on the town (Coldstone Creamery), and this happens. It was my fault. It was a dark intersection and I didn't realize how fast those headlights were traveling toward me and I pulled out to turn left. Praise God my friend Amy (who was in the car) screamed, because I hit my brakes and the oncoming car immediately hit my front bumper. If she hadn't screamed, if I hadn't stopped, the car could have easily hit my door. And the old Accord does not have side-airbags. No one was hurt, which is ultimately the most important thing. And the boys weren't in the car- which is great because I don't have to worry about hidden injuries. But there is this embarrassing pang of being at fault for the thing. I know it was an "accident" but still, I could have been more careful, waited for those cars, etc. The other car had minimal damage- a scratched bumper and a busted headlight. Not even a dent.
I'm having a little bit of a crisis of identity. I have been all for staying at home with the boys. I think it is supremely important for children to have a parent at home, if possible. But I have had no challenge to my thinking. Not contributing financially to our family hasn't been an issue for me so far. I'm in pretty good control of the monthly budget for all of my expenditures and the boys' needs.
But this huge expense is something different. We weren't planning on buying a new car until (God willing) we have another baby. And we were hoping that by then, some car companies would have our perfect, dream car on the American market. We want a small(ish) station wagon with good gas mileage, that can seat 7 and pull a trailer. That's it. But all that's out there (in this country, anyways) are crossover vehicles that are almost perfect. They are smaller than the Excursions, but they aren't incredibly gas-economical. I built my dream car in my head a couple of years ago, and now the spike in gas prices has made that dream seem like it might actually get produced. But not in the next two weeks. I digress.
I was talking about not being able to pay for this expense myself. It was my mistake and I want to fix it immediately, or do something to contribute to the cost of the replacement. But I can't, because of our priorities regarding the boys. Of course Kevin is quick to remind me of how much I am contributing and he was wonderfully calm and not upset at me. He loves that I care for our children and was not phased by the "totalled" news at all. This is my issue. For the first time since becoming a mom, I have a little understanding of why Moms might want to go back to work. If Kevin wasn't so supportive, I might falter on my convictions. I am so thankful for a strong, loving husband.
Now I have to go research cars. All I really want is to have my old car back, even though it smells like spilled milk and Hannah.

I'm more surprised that you've never ever left the boys with a babysitter before now than about the rest of your post. I mean, car accidents happen. I've had a few myself.
I'm glad no one was hurt though, and I know God will provide for you in this situation. Staying home with your boys and raising them like you are is the most important job and the biggest contribution to your family you could ever make.
Think about it this way...if you went back to work, how much of your paycheck would just go to child care anyway? And since this is getting long, I'm gonna go. I'll be praying for you.
Ouch! I'm so sorry! At least Caleb thinks it's funny.
You are such an awesome Mom to your boys and you do contribute everyday 24/7. I am so thankful that Kevin has the priorities that he does. Those little boys have the awesome privilege of growing up with wonderful parents who love them dearly. I love you Kristen and am so proud of you and Kevin.
Mom
I am sorry this has happened, but thankful the boys were not in the car and nobody was hurt. This will all be behind you soon.
Sometimes I think about wanting to work on a career, but then I realize that all the time I would be spending at work, I would be wishing that I was at home. What to do? I guess just wait until my kids grow up! I'm soo glad you weren't hurt in the accident and that your boys weren't in the car!
I am so glad that you were not hurt and will be praying that all of this will work out for good and not cause you anymore stress. I know we don't ever talk but I do like to look at all of my HH friend's blogs to see what everyone is up to.....I also wanted to extend an idea to you, and be my guest to take it or leave it.......Mary Kay is an awesome opportunity! I noticed while reading your post that you were thinking of doing something else but still being able to be 100% available for your children; If you really are thinking about it and if you want anymore info just email me. jjonestj@hotmail.com I will keep you guys in prayer and I hope that you find a vehicle that will be great for your family. Take care Kristen.
Blessings,
Jennifer Jones