Before and After: My Own Ikea Hack- Svala Table

Before:After:
This table and chairs set was the boys' Christmas gift from my parents. It was a set of 2 unfinished chairs and a table. I wanted 4 chairs, so we got a couple of "Gulliver" chairs too. These come painted white. I wanted to stain the set a dark brown to match my other furniture, but also incorporate white from the other chairs. My indecisiveness meant a couple months of procrastination. Four coats of stain, four of white paint and two coats of food-safe, non-toxic varnish meant another month of slow, intermittent work. But the set is finally finished! What do you think?
Caleb loves to sit at his little table and wants to eat every meal there. I think my days of sitting there are numbered. I look pretty funny perched atop such a little stoop. But mostly it's just that the hard wood isn't as cushy as a pregnant rear-end would like.

TW  – (June 8, 2009 at 7:56 AM)  

Thetable is adorable! I am sure all of the babies will love having their own table...and I can imagine it is tough for you to sit in those chairs right now! I have a funny little image of you trying to crouch down and play with the boys... so cute!
We are travelling to Nashville toward the end of July and I would love to see you guys! I will keep you posted on details and hopefully it will work out!

Beth  – (June 8, 2009 at 10:42 AM)  

You did a great job, Kristen, I am super impressed. I'm even more impressed that you did all of that work while pregnant. And pregnant with twins no less. You rock!

Melissa  – (June 8, 2009 at 11:14 AM)  

We got the exact same set for Cmas, and stained them dark wood, too. It IS funny to perch on those chairs, and I'm not even carrying two!

kirsten schueler  – (June 8, 2009 at 4:21 PM)  

we have that set too! i painted mine sky blue and light sky blue. i did the darker of the blues on the table top and the seats, although i used those little sample colors you can get at home depot since they are cheap. the only prob is that it only comes in flat and so i have to polyurethane it and that just hasn't happened yet. so every time miriam touches it, it make a mark! i need to get on the ball! you did a great job and i see why you wanted 4 chairs! :) and yes, i have been sitting on those chairs too!

stella g.  – (June 8, 2009 at 7:49 PM)  

well done! i love the brown stain. i can picture your boys at it. too cute.

Unknown  – (June 9, 2009 at 8:03 PM)  

looks great! glad you decided what you wanted and made it happen :)

Post a Comment